What You Should Know About Container ships
For freighting transport a common means of commercial is being formed by them.
Break-bulk shipping complex stevedoring was avoided by container ships. For its construction hard steel materials are being used.
It is rectangular in shape. The goods can be carried for long transportations as the goods present in them are germs free. While going for container ship facility you need to know about the terms and conditions that are given by the shippers.
There are three important terms, these are:
- Shipper rating: Under this container maximum weight is allowed.
- Tare weight: In this, containers are weighted without any load.
- Payload: This is the load that includes total weight of all shipping containers as well as their loads in a single ship.
History of container ships:
The earliest container ships were up from surplus T2 tankers. The Ideal X was the first container ship that was found in the United States. In America by the name of Malcom McLean, container ships owed their existence.
For the purpose of sending and picking up of loads, McLean purchased his first container ship. He sent them to various ports.
While, during that time along with it he was also planning of some other effective as well as fast ways for the purpose of loading and unloading of the containers.
Later on, large uniform metal containers were carried by container ship, it happen when McLean purchased Pan Atlantic Steamship Company. Into the form of T2 tankers the earliest container ships were converted. The individual hatches were eliminated by container ships.
Characteristics of container ships:
- In terms of deadweight tonnage about 13.3% of the world’s fleet is made by container ships. From 1980 to 2010 the world’s total deadweight tonnage related to container ship has increased from 11 million DWT to 169.0 million DWT respectively.
- The service that is being provided by container ships is liner.
- German ship-owners have owned the vast majority of liner trade container ships.
Safety issues of container ships:
Followings points to be kept in mind for the safety of container ships:
- Every year for each sea, the load on the container ship should be between 2,000 and 10,000 containers.
- During storms overboard can be dangerous.
- Container shipping companies should be aware of piracy threat.
- Containers are environmental threat.
- Containers need to be kept apart from water.
Significant Use of container ships:
- Other than goods you can transport your household accessories, vehicles and many more by using container ship.
- In some rural areas, it is being used as homes.
- It can be used for transporting to any place around the world.
When designing modern container ships, many key points were reconsidered. Cargo cranes have been installed in many container ships.
For the security of the containers that would be board, some special system was installed in it. It has been designed into seven different categories. The engine is made by the auxiliary machinery like electrical generators, air conditioners, sewage systems, fire pumps and fresh water.
Ballast water, fresh water or fuel oil is some of the liquids that hold in double-bottoms. The categories are: new panama, small feeder, ultra-large, feedermax, post-panamax, feeder and panamax.
Features of the categories:
New panama: The maximum vessel-size is the base for the “new panamax” category.
Small feeder: Between smaller container ports small feeder was operated.
Ultra-large: These are useful for carrying large container such as vehicles.
Feedermax: Its TUE is from 2,001 to 3,000.
Post-panamax: The ships with a moulded breadth over 32.31 m were described by “post panamax” category.
Feeder: Feeders are those vessels which container ships are generally under 3,000 TEU
Conclusion: From the above discussion it can be concluded that, due to the convenient sizes of container ships any type of thing can be transferred from place to place. These are made up of hard steel materials.
Its shape is rectangular. Its purpose is to carry goods. Goods are protected from getting damaged. As the goods are protected from bacteria they can be transported to any place around the world.
In today’s world there are many companies that are dealing with container ships.